Serengeti. Following the Migration (part four)

During the day we noticed that the big migratory herds have moved from the area we saw them yesterday and they had mostly disappear. Before that and during the morning drive, we spotted two female lionesses with their cubs moving through the mush playing with us hide and seek behind the tall grass.

We moved on and spot some bateared foxes playing out of their den. At the afternoon we spotted some cheatahs and according to the rangers there should be a good chance to watch them hunting as there were without food for a few days now. We spent over an hour watching them as there was enouch action from zebras and wildebeests in close distance and we felt that we had good chances to see them hunt.

And we did. They ambushed four zebras and one baby and they attacked to the last zebra. The attack was executed from two diferent directions but surprisingly the zebra with a spin move towards the right direction managed to escape the hunt. The chetahs run for no more than 50 meters before they stop and let the zebra escape.

That night in the camp we sat down with Cyst in order to draw a plan to track the migration again. After all we came for the great migration. One thing that cyst mentioned was because there was no rain the last 10 days or so the herds have not only moved furher north  but also they had a much bigger dispress in search for water and fresh grash. In other words we could not really tell where the herds will be and how densed and big herds we ll find.

The only way to find out according to to Cyst was to go on a long 10-12 hours safari that will take us to the northern plains in the quest of the greta migrations. And so we did. At 6.00 am we packed breakfast and launch with us and we started the long quest for the great migration again.


That was a big highlight of the safari as for one full day we completely found ourselves in another world. We spotted the first herds around 9.00 am and from that time and unntil 3.00 pm we were traversing through hundreds of thousands of animals. That was like a trip back in time. Surrounded by nature and animals with no other human in sight for so many hours made you feel completely lost in time.


We stopped quite a few times just to gaze the animals and also to have breakfast amd lunch. Imagine to have lunch in the open savannah while watching the migration. These moments never leave you. They stay with you forever.



I remember at one point we left the herds and the savannah going on another direction and after some driving to the “unknown” we entered a secret woodland (savannah’s forrest) that soon cleared and in front of us there was a huge lush green valley filled with animals. That was awesome. I mean there was no way to find this place as it is somehow hidden and it is surrounded by woodlands with maybe one clear exit out to the savannah.



Around 4pm we took the way back. We had to be at our camp before 7pm which is the deadline for all the vehicles to leave serengeti and return to their lodges. We arrived back to the lodge just on time. It was the longest safari drive i have done. We left the camp at 6am and we returned at 7pm. 70 km and 13 hours. All this time we were riding side by side with the great migration in an  one of a lifetime’s experiances.




more to come







© Copyright Nicolas Lotsos - Designed by Pexeto